Saturday 21 January 2012

Lazy Mixed Bean Wrap

I honestly have no idea what to call this meal, but I had it for lunch today and it was super tasty! It's also in keeping with my goal of having simpler, more affordable meals. The beans are made from a recipe by That Creepy Guy Over There :)

Serves: 2-3 (depending on how much you eat... it would easily be enough for my two sisters and I. However, the recipe is super easy to double/triple/quadruple/ALL THE FOOD)

Ingredients:

Salsa-type thing:
2 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, finally chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Mixed beans:
240g mixed beans (this could be a drained can of mixed beans, or basically any beans you have lying around. The mix I used was chickpeas, white beans and red kidney beans)
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs dried coriander
2 tsp paprika (or more... your call)
1 tbs lemon juice
salt to taste

some salad leaves, roughly chopped of the leaves are large (I used cos lettuce, by virtue of its presence in my fridge)

2-3 wraps (a wrap per person, at the very least)


Optional extras:
Whatever spicy sauce you eat (I used Chipoltle Tabasco, but if you don't eat refined sugar I'd advise something else)
Red onion sprouts
More fresh coriander to garnish (what? I like coriander...)
Guacamole

(image credit: http://www.hurstbeans.com)

Method:

1.) Mix the salsa ingredients together, reserving half of the chopped onion to add to the beans. Set aside.
2.) Drain and rinse your beans if they're canned. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. While the oil is heating up, pulse two thirds of the beans in a food processor with the spices, lemon juice and remaining onion until it forms a coarse paste.
3.) Add the bean paste and whole beans to the pan, and cook (stirring constantly) until the bean paste darkens slightly. A non-stick pan is your friend here. I'd say this takes about 5 minutes, but basically cook it until the onion is cooked and the mixture tries to form a ball as opposed to being a gloopy paste. Season to taste.
4.) Divide lettuce, salsa and bean paste between wraps, and eat immediately.

Alternatively, this goes well with nachos.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment