Friday 29 April 2011

Recipe: Baba Ghanoush

This garlic-y aubergine dish is one of my personal favourites, and I make it regularly. It makes an amazing dip or spread, and I often use it on veggie patties. It can also be served as part of a mezze platter with olives, pita, fresh veg, hummus etc. Here's the Wikipedia entry for it, for those of you who are interested in the background of their food :)

Ingredients
4 tbsp tahini (mine is store-bought, but it is possible to make your own, something I wish to try someday)
1 large aubergine (or two smallish ones)
4 cloves of garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
4 tbsp lemon juice, more to taste
dash of olive oil
salt and pepper

Method
1. Prick aubergine skin all over with a fork. Place in oven, pre-heated to 220 degrees Celsius, and roast for about 40 minutes, until the aubergine is soft.
2. Allow the aubergine to cool. Once it's cool, cut it open and remove the pulp, discarding the skin. VARIATION: once out of pure laziness, i just cut the aubergine into chunks into my food processor, skin and all. It yields a more stodgy, less fluffy result, but since I mostly use it in wraps or as a topping, I decided I preferred it that way).
3. Place the pulp in a food processor with the the ingredients and process until smooth.
4. Check for seasoning, adding more lemon juice or tahini as required (I've found some variation in different brands of tahini and not all lemons are equally sour).

Voila! It really is very easy. I prefer it when it's still slightly warm, but other people feel it's best served after a few hours of refrigeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment